COVID-19 Court Information
The Provincial Court of Alberta
This page is continuously updated. New information contained in this page supersedes information in earlier announcements.
COVID-19 Measures — Updated March 30, 2021
- Traffic court, including Circuit Court locations, will re-open for trials only as of May 17, 2021.
- Circuit court dockets are continuing remotely; no personal attendance is allowed.
- Regional Courts continue to conduct bail hearings, dispositions (both in- and out-of-custody), trials and preliminary hearings subject to adjournment applications by counsel.
- Regional Courts family and child protection docket matters, youth matters and civil matters continue to proceed remotely.
- Edmonton and Calgary low-complexity out-of-custody trials will reopen March 1, 2021.
- Edmonton and Calgary all other criminal, civil and family and child protection matters continue to be heard as scheduled.
- Detailed Court Resumption protocols have been established for each Court division and region, and are available at the links below.
- With the increase in COVID-19 cases and the attendance restrictions on personal appearances, the Court has been receiving more requests for witnesses to appear remotely. All such requests should be made 30 days in advance.
COVID-19 Safety Measures
Strict health and safety measures have been put in place in all locations for:
- physical distancing and monitoring of same;
- wearing of masks and other Personal Protection Equipment (PPE);
- modifying courtrooms and other spaces; and
- enhanced cleaning.
Do not come into a courthouse in person if you have been advised to self-isolate by public health officials, your doctor or the Alberta Health Services website; or you are self-isolating as a result of travel or contact with individuals with COVID-19.
The Provincial Court will continue to monitor the situation on an ongoing basis, and will provide updates regarding the staged reopening. We thank all stakeholders who have provided support and input during the development of the resumption plans.
Managing physical distancing and other health and safety protocols will take the effort and cooperation of all court users and we thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation.
Provincial Court Pandemic Plan - COVID19